The Mechanical Arts
In today’s world, the mind-boggling innovations in electronics and biotechnology dominate the news on a seemingly daily basis. Not to be forgotten, however, are the machines and processes that enable the commercial implementation of those innovations:
- Land-based gas, steam and wind turbines that generate power.
- Precision high-speed forming and assembly machines that make production more efficient and therefore cost effective.
- Medical devices such as syringes, catheters and prosthetics that enhance the quality of healthcare.
- Combustion processes that reduce emissions.
- Water treatment plants providing clean water.
- Agricultural irrigation equipment that increases crop yields with less water.
These are just a few examples of the significant and indispensable contributions attributable to the “mechanical arts”.
The mechanical arts also embrace more visible consumer products ranging from games and toys to food and beverage containers, from household appliances to automobile parts, from recreational equipment to construction tools. The list is endless. At N&V, most of our attorneys have over twenty years of experience in all aspects of IP practice.
N&V helps protect and maximize the value of your IP portfolio in many ways providing many services:
- Comprehensive, yet cost effective patentability studies.
- Preparation of utility and design applications for filing in the U.S. and around the world.
- Licensing client technology to others, including vigorous patent enforcement.
- Clearance or freedom-to-use studies, due diligence and validity studies.
- Defense against claims of infringement of the IP rights of others.
N&V represents many global and domestic concerns of all sizes, successfully prosecuting, enforcing and licensing our clients' widely diversified technologies. Some of the technological areas in which N&V has developed an expertise include: aircraft; automobiles; containers and packaging; gaming; medical instruments including catheters, prosthetics, syringes and sleep apnea masks; pressure regulators; valves; sprinklers; steam and gas turbines; nuclear reactors; fluidized bed reactors; paper making plants; water treatment plants and related processes; electronic game consoles and controllers; household appliances, and many more.
Our goal is to provide clients with the best possible work product at a reasonable cost.
- Assisted corporate counsel in the sale of a part of our client's business reflecting a significant innovation and including a portfolio of related patents obtained by N&V.
- Obtained patents for successful commercial products featured in, for example, Popular Mechanics magazine, the Today Show, Oprah's Magazine and the Hammacher Schlemmer catalog.
- Obtained design and utility patents aimed at protecting an international electronic gaming company’s highly successful array of products.
If you are interested in legal representation or would like more information, please contact one of our attorneys or call us at 1-703-816-4000.