Intellectual Property is often the most important asset a company can have in today’s business climate. Typically, companies will develop the intellectual property rights and any underlying technology or proprietary information they seek to commercialize or otherwise exploit. Many times such rights, technology and/or information are obtained from another or jointly developed with another. Often, a company’s technology is developed with Government funding or other assistance.
Besides assisting clients in obtaining patent trademark and copyright protection and developing strategies for protecting proprietary assets for a wide variety of technologies and business ventures, N&V can help clients to exploit their intellectual property rights and technology, or advance their business objectives through licensing agreements involving patents, trademarks, copyrights, software, trade secrets and/or other proprietary rights.
- N&V attorneys have significant experience in licensing matters.
- Licensing of a company’s intellectual property rights and any underlying technology can often be a significant source of revenue for technologies or areas of business the company is not itself interested in exploiting.
- N&V also has extensive experience in cases where licenses become part of larger agreements, such as technology transfer agreements, research and development agreements, Government funded or assisted research and development agreements and more, as business opportunities dictate.
Some licensing agreements N&V has been involved in include:
- Licensing technology invented at a research institution involving biologics to start-up companies for applications in neurological disorders.
- Licensing technology invented at a major medical university for the treatment of bone fractures.
- Inter-company licensing of know-how, patents, trademarks and copyrights involving technology for the treatment of arthritis.
- Inter-company patent and know-how license negotiations involving a portfolio of pharmaceutical and medical device respiratory therapeutic products potentially worth hundreds of millions of dollars.
- Patent license negotiations involving organic botanical pesticides that are safe around pets and children.
- Patent license transaction involving biotechnological manufacturing technology.
- Licensing software for managing patient records in dental practices.
- Patent and know-how license negotiations involving technology for manufacturing electronic devices.
- Patent license negotiations involving automotive parts patents.
- Licensing rights owned by a manufacturer of micro electromechanical devices to a major Government agency involving software for managing production of microelectronic devices.
- Assisting a research company developing microelectronic devices with Government research and development funds in negotiating a Cooperative Research and Development Agreement (CRADA) with a major Government agency’s research lab involving government licenses for devices developed and fabricated at the lab with Government assistance.
- Assisting a vendor of containers in a negotiation of a product development and production agreement including a know-how license with a manufacture of containers.
If you are interested in legal representation or would like more information, please contact one of our attorneys or call us at 1-703-816-4000.